Last week, in the Nass River Valley on the BC–Alaska border, FECPL PhD Candidate Andrea Reid partnered with a Parks Canada educator, John-Francis Lane, to lead a Salmon Science Kids Camp over March Break. Kids from the Nisga’a Nation, age 7–12, participated in a community-wide telemetry scavenger hunt in which they learned how radio transmitters work and how to find them using radio receivers. An outdoor nature bingo kept kids busy for hours as they searched the intertidal zone and coastal forest for ‘natural’ vs. ‘unnatural’ items in the environment, like pine cones vs. pop cans. Kids got creative as they made artwork for a Salmon Art Contest, and kept busy with games like salmon-scientist tag and sockeye-sockeye-coho (a new take on duck-duck-goose!) It was an honour for Andrea and John-Francis to be invited to lead this camp by the Nisga’a Gingolx Village Government following their December school presentations supported by a NSERC Aboriginal Ambassador Award, and they look forward to continuing to connect youth with science!
- Five papers back from journals in 72 hrs... every single one is "major revision". My assessment is that 3 r minor… https://t.co/NMCZCH4Z9j1 hour ago
- RT @EnvEvidence: CEE is delighted that our journal Environmental Evidence is now indexed on Web of Science. #systematicreviews… https://t.co/jZSSw5cC0412 hours ago
- RT @Newman_lab: Feathers feeling ruffled? Check out @Koleyfree's paper in @conphysjournal on how the field of feather physiology is… https://t.co/saaSKAKpSh21 hours ago
- RT @sudburyfrog: Turtle claws, https://t.co/nrr45y2wvF bird feathers, what's next? Kuddos to @SJC_fishy and @conphysjournal for publ… https://t.co/KmIOfhejFF21 hours ago
- The @Carleton_U SS Cookie Monster is the perfect platform for a fall field course day on Big Rideau Lake… https://t.co/ZVYXjnZzM8Oct 19
September 27, 2018 1:52 pm
Dr. Cooke has been selected at the TD Walter Bean...
September 17, 2018 12:29 pm
Cooke Lab tagging activities on the Rideau Canal Waterway were...
June 7, 2018 11:50 pm
Dr. Cooke attends the kickoff meeting for the HYCANOR project...